The Saskatchewan Cultural Exchange (SCE), is an organization grounded in values of inclusivity and openness, delivering art programs to the people of Saskatchewan in collaboration with the communities, audiences, artists, and participants it serves.
The SCE, in partnership with the Grand Theatre in Indian Head, is searching for a singer/songwriter for an artist-in-residency program servicing the community of Indian Head and surrounding area as part of their Artist in Communities program.
The artist would be required to be in the community for two months, with a possible extension to three months. They can expect:
– 20 hours per week working with the community through workshops and presentations
– providing programming for youth and adults
– 20 hours per week on their own personal practice in the studio provided by the community
Qualifications: Successful candidates will have an interest in delivering community arts programming, a minimum of four years experience in their field, and/or a BFA.
Workshops will be created through consultation with the SCE and the Grand Theatre in Indian Head, SK. Preference is given to singer/songwriters and to artists residing in nearby communities.
Applicants must be:
– Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada;
– active in their profession; and
– be willing to engage with the surrounding community and interested in working with any age from Kindergarten to residents of retirement care homes.
If accepted, applicants must:
– be able to provide a criminal record check to be approved to work with youth;
– have demonstrated effective interpersonal skills in dealing with the public and co-workers;
– have demonstrated the ability to work independently, organize work, and meet deadlines; and
– have demonstrated reliability, initiative, and willingness to try new ideas.
Interested applicants must submit:
– CV/Resume (Maximum three pages)
– Artist statement
– Biography (Please include past workshop experience)
– Project description (Maximum two pages)
– Sample of workshop
– Interest in working with the community
– Sample of work (Maximum of two audio tracks for jury purposes only)
– One to three photos to be used by the SCE and the Grand Theatre for press releases and promotion of the residency program
– Equipment and studio needs
– An indication of preference and/or flexibility for dates between February 1st, 2017 and April 30th, 2017. Artist must be available for consultation in the month leading up to the start date of the residency.
– One or two letters of recommendation
Applications due by November 18th, 2016 at 5 p.m. Submit materials via email with the subject line “Grand Theatre Air 2017 Application.”
We acknowledge the support from the Saskatchewan Arts Board, SaskCulture, and Sask Lotteries for providing the funding for the Artist In Communities program.
Deadline: November 18th, 2016, 5 p.m.
Contact: Rowan Pantel – Outreach Coordinator
Phone: (306) 780-9494
Start Date: Early February 2017
Salary: $3,333 / month